Sponsor the Wellington
September 24, 2017
  « Back « Previous Next »

Over six months after eliminating the Whitby Fury in enemy territory from the OJHL postseason, the Wellington Dukes returned to the scene of one of their most monumental victories in franchise history Sunday afternoon and came away with a familiar result - a victory.


Veteran Teddy McGeen scored twice and returnee Jackson Arcan added two points in a 4-2 Dukes win at Iroquois Park Sports Centre.


After a quiet, scoreless first period that saw Whitby outshoot Wellington 6-5, both teams began to trade chances in the middle stanza. Both goaltenders, Jonah Capriotti on the Wellington side and Nate McDonald on the Fury end, managed to stand tall, but it would be Whitby that struck first over halfway through the period. Austin Ulett squeaked a shot over the line past Capriotti at the 12:28 mark, with assists going to Brock Welsh and Ryan Bazzana. McGeen would tie the contest shortly after with Alec Tiley drawing the lone assist. The game headed into the third period up for grabs, with Whitby beating Wellington again in the shot count, 18-11.


The Dukes were faced with a tough situation early in the third after Whitby forward Rizvan Mansurov was hauled down on a breakaway, leading to a penalty shot being called. Capriotti stood tall once again however, and kept the game tied. That save proved to be pivotal, as Fury captain Reilly Smith would take a high sticking penalty and the County kids would capitalize. Late in the minor, Jackson Arcan and Daniel Panetta did some good grinding work to set up Whitby native Mitchell Martan for a powerplay marker. The Boston College commitment's third goal of the season only put the Dukes ahead briefly however, as former Quinte Red Devil Matt Sherwin knotted the score again at two-all from Jeffrey Gauld and Noah Bull.


Late in the third, things got a little chippy between the two East division rivals and the Dukes would wind up taking advantage of another Smith infraction. McGeen's second of the game and fourth of the season turned out to be the difference as he beat McDonald with assistance coming from Tiley and rookie Zach Uens at 14:40. Arcan would then round out the scoring with a minute and change left on the clock. His fourth of the year came unassisted. The Dukes saved their best for last in this contest, firing 16 shots at the Whitby goal, eventually pulling ahead 32-30 for the game.


McGeen's first star performance was the key to victory for Wellington on this day and Capriotti was stellar in net for a second straight game, stopping 28 shots for his second consecutive win.


The Dukes improved to an East division-best 4-1-0-3 record on the year, good for 11 points. Wellington is off until Thursday, when they hit the road yet again in a busy month away from Essroc Arena. They'll make a stop in Newmarket before finally returning home again Friday night to face North York.

© 2017 Wellington Dukes Junior 'A' Hockey Club | All Rights Reserved.
Admin Panel Support Website Powered by: IT Masons